Title: Sucker Punch
Distributor: Warner Bros.
Director: Zach Snyder
Writer(s): Zack Snyder (screenplay), Steve Shibuya (screenplay)
Staring: Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, Jamie Chung
MPAA Rating: PG -13 for thematic material involving sexuality, violence and combat sequences, and for language
Running Time: 109 min
Synopsis: A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her wicked stepfather where she will undergo a lobotomy in 5 days time. Faced with unimaginable odds, she retreats to fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her companions battle various creatures and enemies to retrieve the 5 items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late
What Others Are Saying?
Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 19% (Rotten), Top Critics: 11% (Rotten), Audience: 65% (Fresh)
Metacritic: Critics: 36 out of 100, Users: 6.7 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 37 out of 100
Yahoo Movies: Critics: C- Users: B
Source Material: Original work from the mind of Steve Shibuya and Zach Snyder
- Action Elements: The film has some good action scene that will excite many guys because you have five beautiful women welding swords and fire arms to defeat Samurai's, Nazi's, Orcs, and Dragons, every guys dream.
- Comedy Elements: Not really that humors but some things become humors because the dialogue was very cheese in parts. More less it was "this is so ridiculous I got to laugh"
- Dramatic Elements: Hard to pick-up on anything but the action...so I'm going to say No on drama.
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: It's a fantasy but in a "it all happening in their mind" type of way. The way it was edited together the fantasy world over lap and it sometime become hard to determine whose head where in.
- Acting and Dialogue: C+: The acting was good but the writing mainly the dialouge was horrible. So horrible that you feel obligated to laugh at how dumb the words coming out of the actors mouths.
- Art Direction: B+: Personally being a geek I noticed a heavily influenced art style from Japanese Anime including a hint of 1950's fashion. I think this to styles messed very well.
- Cinematography: C+: Zack Snyder films have the same formula with the who slowing/ speeding up time to capture those awesomely cool action moves.
- Direction: B:The film had a decent pace and feel to it...the film is definitely a Zack Snyder film.
- Editing: B: I always thought something was missing in the story but maybe that was what they eliminated from the book not necessarily the editors fault. Over all I think it was a decent film from a editing stand point.
- Screenplay: D-: The story was very week. first its a simple story which doesn't always mean better. Also the character were hard to connect with on a personal level, meaning I didn't relate to any character.
- Sound and Music: A: I enjoyed the sound track, most of the songs had good beat and arises a good emotional cues, even though they emotions weren't being reflected in the actor performance.
- VFX: B-: Graphically this film did a good job...ditto the comments I said about the art direction.