Title: Captain America: The First Avenger
Distributor: Marvel Studios
Director: Joe Johnston
Writer(s): Christopher Markus (screenplay), Stephen McFeely (screenplay)
Staring: Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci
MPAA Rating:Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action
Running Time: 125 min
Synopsis: After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals.
What Others Are Saying?
Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 71% (Fresh), Top Critics: 75% (Fresh), Audience: 86% (Like It)
Metacritic: Critics: 67 out of 100, Users: 8.5 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 67 out of 100
Yahoo Movies: Critics: N/A Users: A-
Source Material: Based on the Comic Book series with same name.
- Action Elements: This film is for the most part action pack. What I liked over this movie and other action movies is the action was well choreographed. When I watched let say Transformers 3 sometime there was to much going on but in this movie there seem to be a balance of action and drama.
- Comedy Elements: There is quite a bit of one liners and homages to original Captain America. Both of these aspects of the film ease some of "war-like" tension. Some may argue that its to campy and light hearted but I think it makes it fun and entertaining. I'm guess there is more movie going people that are looking for fun and entertaining films over a artsy-fartsy films.
- Dramatic Elements: There is some emotional scene but personally I think there where on the week side. Don't get me wrong the actors were awesome...I'm will to say perfect casting.
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: Another comic book movie in the books.
- Acting and Dialogue: 7.5: Chris Evans is the go to guy if you ever want a superhero. With that being said I'm all right with him being both John Storm and Steve Rogers After seeing the film I came to the conclusion that Chris Evan is to Captain America that Christopher Reeves is Superman. I know Marvel would like to reboot Fantastic Four once they get there right back from Twentieth Century Fox. Therefore casting a person that will basically make us for get about Chris Evan's Human Torch. Anywho lest talk about the other fantastic actors in this film. Hugo Weaving in my opinion is in the top five actors who make an awesome bad guy...I think its the voice. "Mr. Anderson" lol A Matrix reference. It was great seeing Tommy Lee Jones being awesome again. Don't even get me started on the beautiful Hayley Atwell.
- Art Direction: 8: This film is basically a period peace...Time period WWII...Captain America = Well America and Red Skull = Nazi Germany/ Hitler. I believe that atmosphere was portrayed in this film very well. In a friend of mines review of this very same movie he made a valid point. In a round about way the high-tech weapons that Hydra (Red skull's followers) used was obvious no match for the weapons of the time, therefore disconnecting with the 1940's.
- Cinematography: 8: Because the action sequences were so well done the over all the film's cinematography was good, if not better than good. Not really much more to say on that topic just have to see to believe it.
- Direction: 7: The pace was decent, there were some slower parts. I see Joe Johnston work as average if not slightly above average. When you got a guy who is mainly known for film such Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Jumanji, and Jurassic Park III, would you worry that he might screw up...He did a decent job but I thinking it might have turned out slightly better under other direction.
- Editing: 8: There are some cool montages that show off the bad ass-ness of Captain America
- Screenplay: 8: The villain was a bit weak I think the story could have benefited from using more Red Skull, besides that it was good.
- Sound and Music: 7.5: Good, had some campy music in the middle that was fun and light heart.
- VFX: 8.5: Most of the film seemed liked it was done with practical effect except for the obvious like the transformation scene. Witch is a very good thing.