Title: The Avengers
Distributor: Marvel Studios, Paramount Pictures
Director: Joss Whedon
Writer(s): Joss Whedon (screenplay), Zak Penn (story)
Staring: Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, and Samuel L. Jackson
MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout, and a mild drug reference.
Running Time: 142 min
Synopsis: Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. brings together a team of super humans to form The Avengers to help save the Earth from Loki and his army.
What Others Are Saying?
Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 93% (Fresh), Top Critics: 86% (Fresh), Audience: 96% (Like It)
Metacritic: Critics: 69 out of 100, Users:8.9 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 77 out of 100
My ReviewSource Material: Based on the comic book characters created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
- Action Elements: This movie is action packed it was a shame I had to get up so many tines to deal with a toothache. I also damn my balder.
- Comedy Elements: I personally was laughing quite a bit. There are a lot of one-liners written perfect for each character.
- Dramatic Elements: Very weak in this department of cinema.
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: Its a comic book movie that combines: Aliens, "Gods," Super Soldiers, and Superheros all in one movie.
- Acting and Dialogue: 8.5: The performance ere solid. This cast is filled with a great pantheon of good actors. Some more notable actors are Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, and Tom Hiddleston. I personally think these guys performed the best. Robert Downey Jr charisma never failing, Mark Ruffalo filling big, and Tom Hiddleston convincing bad guy.
- Art Direction: 8: With comic book movies today, I believe its the art director job to capture the vision of the old school (70's and 80's comic style) and modernized (today's style) to new school, without looking dorky or fake. I think this was was done very well in this movie.
- Cinematography: 7.5: It was good but personally I think some of action sequence were a bit to chaotic.
- Direction: 8: I felt the film started off a bit on the slow side but it pick up pace fairly quickly. The ending was a minor let down but I didn't read the book before hand so I don't know whats to come.
- Editing: 8: If there is one "nerd' director that would be Joss Whedon. He is actually know more for writing great sci-fi television series. I like his writing style on this film and how that detail was carry out in the direction.
- Screenplay: 9: The story was solid. I like the homage to original avenger's comic. What sold me the most on this movie was character dialogue. This how I see the dialogue between Joss Whedon and his staff: Joss, "Lets give this line to said character cause it will be funny" everyone else in the room, "No that won't work" Joss, "you want to bet - Hey Robert can you try this line for me, its for kicks" Robert, "Sounds good...says line." everyone else, "this guy knows his stuff maybe" I shared this example because there are so many good line in this movie written perfectly for each character.
- Sound and Music: 7: Typical summer blockbuster music.
- VFX: 8: There was cool tech from S.H.I.E.D and Tony Stark. The Hulk looked best he's ever had. So over all the visual effects were good.