Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

IMDb

Title: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Mike Newell
Writer(s): Boaz Yakin(screenplay), Doug Miro ( screenplay), Carlo Bernard (screenplay) Jordan Mechner (screen story) Jordan Mechner (video game series "Prince of Persia")
Staring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley
MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action.
Running Time: 116 min
Synopsis: Based on the video game, which follows an adventurous prince who teams up with a rival princess to stop an angry ruler from unleashing a sandstorm that could destroy the world.

What Others Are Saying?


Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 39% (Rotten), Top Critics: 23% (Rotten), RT Community: 73% (Fresh)
Metacritic: Critics: 49 out of 100, Users: 8.4 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 52: (0.0% A, 26.4% B, 54.4% C, 16.8% D, and 0.0% F)
Yahoo Movies: Critics: C+ Users: A-

My Review

Source Material: Based on the video game.

Entertaining Value:

  • Action Elements: There is a lot of action sequence most of them using the same parkour tricks, but from what I have been told its an homage to the video game.
  • Comedy Elements: Cheesy factor +1, most of the joke where a bit on the cheesy side but at the same time kind of witty.
  • Dramatic Elements: There were quite a few moments the film tried to take a breather from the action with a drama kiss but it was usually interrupt by the bad guys.
  • Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: The film incorporated some bending of time aspects, hence the title of the film, The Sands of Time.

Cinematic Value:

  • Acting and Dialogue: B-: Let say I have seen better from Jake Gyllenhaal, he wasn't bad there just was something missing from his performance. This is the only second time I have seen Gemma Arterton in a film, so Iam going to say, "So far so good"
  • Art Direction: A-: For the most part Jerry Bruckheimer production have decent art direction this film hold up to those standards.
  • Cinematography: B+: The fighting choreography was great, From what I hear shooting this isn't the easiest, so I give a small token of kudos to the filmmakers on this one.
  • Direction: B: I only known Mike Newell's work from Harry Potter, so from that standpoint he has improved in my opinion.
  • Editing: B+: With all the parkour stunts and fast pace action I think they asembem it in away we as an adiance didnt lose the brilliantly crafted fighting choreography. I say the same to the editing team as I did to the filmmakers, kudoes.
  • Screenplay: C: In my opinion the weakest element to this film was its story, one there where some holes in the story, that I would classify as a continuity issue. I already mentioned how cheesy the dialogue was. Well, even thought it was kind of witty, not to many people laugh at the jokes sadly. That maybe to bad writing?
  • Sound and Music: B: There was a decent score.
  • VFX: C+: I think I would have enjoy the film if the FX were 50% better. They were go but not that good.

Overall: B-: Its one of those popcorn summer movies, that you could take most of the family to, little kids would be board, hence my use of the word "most". I say it was a fairly decent movie, yes it has some cinematic flaws but it is entertaining.

No comments: