Title: The Hunger Games
Distributor: Color Force
Director: Gary Ross
Writer(s): Gary Ross (screenplay), Suzanne Collins (screenplay)
Staring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth
MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13 for intense violent thematic material and disturbing images - all involving teens.
Running Time: 142 min
Synopsis: Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.
What Others Are Saying?
Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 85% (Fresh), Top Critics: 80% (Fresh), Audience: 88% (Like It)
Metacritic: Critics: 67 out of 100, Users:7.5 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 73 out of 100
My ReviewSource Material: Based on the book with the same name written by Suzanne Collins .
- Action Elements: This movie had some really good action. It wasn't necessarily "action pack" but it kept you entertained.
- Comedy Elements: I don't won't to ruin it for anyone but there is two or three actor that makes there scene funny to watch, even though this film not mean to be a comedy.
- Dramatic Elements: The drama come in two forms, slight love story and psychological turmoil to kill another human.
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: The Sci-Fi elements are there because the film take place in the future. But this future seems lived in or dated and at times retro.
- Acting and Dialogue: 8: The performance are solid. Jennifer Lawrence was very good. I sold on her as an actress, so far, X-men: First Class now The Hunger Games. There were some actor I wish I could mention but it will ruin it a tad bit, but they were awesome like usual.
- Art Direction: 8: Personally I really like how the "world" or future world was more or less retro 80's meets aristocratic fashion. I also like the portrayal of social class or "districts" in the fashion and art.
- Cinematography: 7: Overall it was well done, there was some issues was shake cam here and there.
- Direction: 7: I felt the film started off a bit on the slow side but it pick up pace fairly quickly. The ending was a minor let down but I didn't read the book before hand so I don't know whats to come.
- Editing: 7.5: Personally I say kudos cause with a "fight to the death" type of film death is spelled with a capital "D" meaning lots of blood and guts. This film did tastefully enough to keep PG-13 rating but still keep that edge.
- Screenplay: 8: I really like the post apocalyptic, fight to the death for entertainment sub-genre concept over other post apocalyptic genres. I thought the love story aspect of the film were on the week side but again I didn't read the books. This could have be one of the detail that were cut in the adaption phase.
- Sound and Music: 7.5: The music worked for the film but did pop as much as I wanted to.
- VFX: 8: I already said I liked the "style" of this film. Well the VFX had a major helping hand in that process I assume. It was future but lived in. It was a future that seem not to distant from now.