Distributor: Relativity Media
Director: Joe Johnston
Writer(s): Charley Parlapanides, Vlas Parlapanides
Staring: Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Freida Pinto, Luke Evans, Isabel Lucas, John Hurt
MPAA Rating: Rated R for sequences of strong bloody violence, and a scene of sexuality.
Running Time: 110 min
Synopsis: Eons after the Gods won their mythic struggle against the Titans, a new evil threatens the land. Mad with power, King Hyperion has declared war against humanity...
What Others Are Saying?
Rotten Tomatoes: T-Meter: 38% (Rotten), Top Critics: 25% (Fresh), Audience: 75% (Like It)
Metacritic: Critics: 48 out of 100, Users: 7.2 out of 10
MRQE Metric: 55 out of 100
Yahoo Movies: Critics: C- Users: B
Source Material: Based on on the Greek myths of Theseus and the Minotaur and the Titanomachy.
- Action Elements: Honestly I wish the film had more of a epic feeling to it. Yes it has has some good action sequence but personally over all it fell a little short.
- Comedy Elements: There was no real comic relief, no one really to break the tension and seriousness. I remember a few cheesy line and stark comments. NO GOOD SIDE-KICK
- Dramatic Elements: This film was mainly action driven but with that being there was a good amount of dramatic scenes which personally slowed the film down.
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy Elements: Greek mythology = high fantasy now days...so yes VFX were used.
- Acting and Dialogue: 7: Over All the actors put forth a good performance. When you exam this film the only real seasoned actors are Mickey Rourke and John Hurt. Mickey Rourke was a decent "bad guy" but I felt like he was board or didn't really care about his character. John Hurt was really good mentor type character, but not much screen time. I also enjoyed the beautiful Freida Pinto but her role and every other side charters role were weak.
- Art Direction: 8: I liked the fact this film didn't portray the gods as "aged in wisdom" it was interesting to see them portrayed as heroic 20 or 30 somethings. I also like the compare and contrast between the different "groups" Immortals vs Greeks (Theseus) vs Cretans (Hyperion).
- Cinematography: 6.5: I thought it could have been better. Personally I think Zack Snyder captures the "slow-motion / speed-up" effect better.
- Direction: 6.5: With being an action film I thought the film moved slower than what I was wanting it to. I guess I was hopping for a 300 pace since it was shot with the same style.
- Editing: 7: It was well edited but like everything else it kind of feel short.
- Screenplay: 6: I love Greek mythology and lore, they make good stories, so how can you take a good heroic character like Theseus and basically screw it up. Maybe it was the director's fault for not driving the story he is know for visually awesome movies with weak stories. Come on dude Greek mythology is epic so tell a story that matches.
- Sound and Music: 7: Over all it was good but again not up to par.
- VFX: 8: Like I said with the art direction on this film its beautiful. Good VFX all around...the gods smile upon this work. I thought the 3-D was weak though.